Monday, April 19, 2010

Social Work

Ok so I recently I have encountered a few situations where I have been asked about social work or needed to encourage someone in the choice to be a social worker.
What are the good things about being a social worker or being in that field.

Good things about a social worker
- heart wants to help people
-enjoy working with people
- want to serve others
- family oriented

Encouraging someone who is in this field is difficult for me because I have not felt called to that area of work but through going through school and learning different developmental levels of children/teens taught me alot about being a momma which I look forward to someday. The thing about being a social worker is that they ask you to be in a genuine fake relationship and help these people/spend time with them/ and get to know them like a friend but you can not help them in the one true way you believe- show them Jesus and walk them and direting them to Jesus. In the public social services sector you can not share your faith openly. When there are so much spiritual battle going on in this world you can't cover up the evil one's work and how we are all sinful.

I want people to serve and love people and care for the broken lost people of the world- but I do not yet know how to encourage people to do that with a full time job. We are not supposed to walk away from difficult situations but we are also supposed to point everyone we meet to Jesus. What does it look like to be a social worker-healthy and a follower of Jesus, I am not sure but I am thankful that God has given me a heart for people and has opened up doors and is opening our heart to other doors.

Right now I have an opportunity to work with the amazing women at our church. This has been a true blessing and treat to support them in their walk with God. God also calls us to reach out to those that are broken. One way he has begun to shape my heart is the thought of being a foster parent and supporting the orphans of this country and that way. I don't know if or when this opportunity will take shape but I know that God is opening doors and places in our hearts to consider it.

A way that is really close to home is in the next few months my parents will be taking a 9 yr old child into their home named Kassandra, which is going to be amazing, challenging and full of love all at the same time. My parents have desired to be foster parents before but never have had the opportunity. They are recieving Kassandra because her biological mother no longer wants to care for her....... my heart breaks for that child.......but in a few months we get to love her..... I get to love her as my sister and show her Jesus. It will be hard for my parents....but God never said the plan he has for you will be easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment